Achievement issue: Tough Little Ship

Discuss problems related to FTL here. If you are having a problem or experiencing a bug PLEASE READ THE "MUST READ" POST.
Agouti

Achievement issue: Tough Little Ship

Postby Agouti » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:29 pm

While an easy achievement to get, there is an issue with it.

The achievement, for those who don't know, is "As the Kestrel Cruiser, repair back to full health when it has only 1 HP remaining."

The issue, which may or may not be a bug, is that you have to repair from 1 HP to full in one hit. Repairing half way at one store, then the rest at another store, will not give the achievement.

Depending on your interpretation of the wording this might be intentional, but I feel that it should still give you the achievement as long as you end up at full HP after being at 1.
Spazticus

Re: Achievement issue: Tough Little Ship

Postby Spazticus » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:41 pm

It's not a bug, considering that if you repair partway, then go to another store, you're no longer repairing it from 1 HP, at the second store...unless of course you get knocked back down to 1 HP while in transit. It's feasible to make a run just for getting the achievement, and selling your starting gear to help get the necessary scrap is common enough to that strategy.
nfiea2

Postby nfiea2 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:49 pm

Yeah it would be way too easy if it was just have your hull go down to 1 and getting it back to full at some point

you need to know how it works and have the scrap available

I mean it's not like you can't just do a run on easy and get this in the first sector by letting a weak ship take you down to one while you are next to a store.

you don't even need to collect scrap, just sell your weapons

that is how this works

obscure quests that must be played over and over and over to get the chance for them to work at all and achievements that don't always make sense
Derakon

Postby Derakon » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:55 pm

I disagree with the responders and agree with the OP. The point is to survive and flourish after having gone to 1HP, not to do the repair all at once. The OP fulfilled the requirements for the achievement, but did it in a different way than the one that was coded for (probably because the coded method doesn't require the game to maintain any state on "has this ship ever been at 1HP"). That's a bug, albeit probably not a large one.
Icehawk78

Postby Icehawk78 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:29 pm

Derakon wrote:I disagree with the responders and agree with the OP. The point is to survive and flourish after having gone to 1HP, not to do the repair all at once. The OP fulfilled the requirements for the achievement, but did it in a different way than the one that was coded for (probably because the coded method doesn't require the game to maintain any state on "has this ship ever been at 1HP"). That's a bug, albeit probably not a large one.

I (and others) disagree with you on the actual goal of the achievement. However, the wording could likely be made a bit clearer, one way or the other, to clarify their actual intent.
nfiea2

Postby nfiea2 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:35 pm

Icehawk78 wrote:
Derakon wrote:I disagree with the responders and agree with the OP. The point is to survive and flourish after having gone to 1HP, not to do the repair all at once. The OP fulfilled the requirements for the achievement, but did it in a different way than the one that was coded for (probably because the coded method doesn't require the game to maintain any state on "has this ship ever been at 1HP"). That's a bug, albeit probably not a large one.

I (and others) disagree with you on the actual goal of the achievement. However, the wording could likely be made a bit clearer, one way or the other, to clarify their actual intent.

basically he is saying that I'm totally right

it needs to be much much much harder than going from 1 health to full health

that way you have to go out of your way to get it; instead of it happening naturally as you play

lulz; these idiots think they know enough about games to say anything
poxala2615

Postby poxala2615 » Wed Jun 19, 2024 2:56 am

Constructive feedback like this can improve the overall quality of the game's achievementsmy location.